František Bohumil Doubek (March 20, 1865 in České Budějovice - October 26, 1952 in Nový Jičín) painter, draftsman and illustrator
At the age of fifteen he went to Prague to study, where he attended the drawing school Regnier from 1879 to 1880. Then from 1880 he continued at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague, where he became a student of the then rector Antonin Lhota, then continued with prof. Frantisek Sequens and František Cermak. In 1885 he left the Prague Academy, went to Munich, where he began studying at the local Academy of Painting Otto Seitz and composition with Alex von Liezen-Mayer. He focused mainly on portrait and genre painting. At that time he also painted large decorative allegories for the Vosek chateau near Strakonice and religious motifs, for example for the church in Radomysl. He traveled to France, Italy, Switzerland and worked in Vienna and Dresden. At the Jubilee Exhibition in Prague in 1892 he received an honorary diploma of the 1st class and in 1893 he received the prize of the Academy of Sciences and Arts in Prague. In the same year he won the silver medal of the Munich Academy for the great painting Ctirad and Sarka. He was well known and sought-after abroad as a skillful illustrator of magazines - Fliegenden Blätter, Gartenlaube, Moderne Kunst and Über Land und Meer. He lived in Germany (Bavaria) until World War I, when he had to enlist. After the war he returned to his homeland and settled in České Budějovice in 1924. He created a portrait of the Mayor of Ceske Budejovice Otakar Svoboda and the factory owner August Zatka. He created the main altar and Stations of the Cross for the Dean's Cathedral of St. Nicholas. In 1933 he moved to Prague, where he exhibited his works and also created many illustrations. Portrait of T. G. Masaryk. He was a member of the Union of Fine Artists and in the years 1898 - 1900 the Association of Fine Artists Manes. In 1949, with increasing health problems, he entered the social institute of boromejek in Novy Jicin, where he eventually died in 1952. He exhibited in Prague at the Municipal House, Ceske Budejovice, Germany and Austria.